- National Institute of Solar Energy, an autonomous institution of Ministry of New and Renewable (MNRE), is the apex National R&D institution in the field Solar Energy. The Government of India has converted 25 year old Solar Energy Centre (SEC) under MNRE to an autonomous institution in September, 2013 to assist the Ministry in implementing the National Solar Mission and to coordinate research, technology and other related works.
- The NISE has assumed all technical activities of SEC and has also re-organized itself to undertake roles and responsibilities assigned to it by the Ministry. The institute is involved in demonstration, standardization, interactive research, training and testing solar technologies and systems. It is an effective interface between the Government and institutions, industry & user organizations for development, promotion and widespread utilization of solar energy in the country.
- The National Institute of Solar Energy is located on Gurgaon-Faridabad road, about 8 km from central Gurgaon and about 25 km from India Gate. It has 200 acre campus and availability of land is the strength of the Institute which facilitate setting up of large size outdoor projects and scope of expansion in future.
- NISE is maintaining a NABL accredited Solar Photovoltaic module testing laboratory, lighting system test laboratory, battery testing facility and a water pumping system test rig and outdoor test facilities. The centre has fully developed testing facility for small and large size solar thermal systems and Solar Resource Assessment. It has just completed a 1 MW solar thermal R&D power project in collaboration with IIT, Mumbai.
- A New building and 30 room international guest house with Solar Passive Concept is now complete. It is proposed to meet the entire electricity requirement of the campus through solar energy and make it “net zero electricity consuming campus”.