NISE has capabilities and experts in measurements, characterization, reliability, engineering, scientific computing, and theory to support photovoltaic (PV) research and development (R&D) across a range of alteration technologies and scales. NISE provide testing facilities for Solar cell, SPV Module, Solar water pump system and Solar Inverter & charge controller.
Measurements & Characterization
NISE provide facilities for measuring and characterizing of Solar Photovoltaic applications such as:
||• Solar Water Pump Test Facilities
||• Solar Inverter Test Facilities
||• Solar Cell Characterization Lab
||• Outdoor PV Module Characterization test facility
||• Battery Testing facility
Performance & Reliability
We measure and analyze the operational performance of PV modules under out door conditions. And we study the Performance & reliability of modules, either as a whole or by their components.
||• Real Time Testing
||• Standard Developments
||• Industry workshop & Standard Support
We also study SPV application at the system level. This support can incorporate module measurements and characterization, along with integrated system performance analysis. Our experts also develop testing procedures and performance standards, and validate various methods for rating PV energy output.
||• Engineering Testing and Evaluation
• Standard Development
• SPV System Performance Data
• PV Energy Rating methods Validation
Solar Water Pump Test Facility
Water Pumping is very important for sustainable contribution in the growth of our country for providing water for different applications viz. Irrigation, drinking and industrial processes etc. For which Solar Photovoltaic can play a major role as water is higher in high radiation. As India is a tropical country having more than 300 sunny days and radiation intensity reaching upto 1000 w/m2, photovoltaic can play a major role in meeting its energy needs. National Institute of Solar Energy is an autonomous institute of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India. It is a premier institute for research and Development activities as well as testing of Different SPV devices and system, situated in composite climatic zone of India
SPV water Pumping testing Facility at NISE
- National Institute of Solar Energy, a renowned institute, have a SPV water pumping testing facility for testing, performance evaluation as well as certifying of different types of SPV water pumps and its components as per the guidelines provided by Ministry of new and renewable energy specifications which are updated and modified time to time as per need. NISE accepts samples for testing from manufacturers and users through their authorized representatives.
SPV water Pumping research & development
- An automatic test facility at NISE has been set up for R & D, performance evaluation of various types of SPV Pumping system available in Indian market. It has simulators, data loggers, and pressure control mechanism etc. for simulation and real time performance measurements.
Solar Water Pump Test Facility
NISE has the facility of Solar Inverter Testing ranging from 100Wp to 10 kWp for hybrid power conditioning unit (PCU) as well as Grid tied inverters. NISE has power electronics lab with Solar Array Simulator (15 kVA), Electronic load (15 kVA), AC -DC source (6 kVA), Four Channel Power Analyzer, Digital Oscilloscopes, Bench Top Dual Display Multi-meter and Hand Held Multi-meter and Clamp Meters. The testing report will contain all the parameters measured at NISE along with the parameters required as per IEC 61683, given in JNNSM, MNRE 2013-14 specifications and claims made by manufacturer on the sample that has been tested.
Performance & Reliability:
||• Performance evaluation of the sample at different type of load and load percentage.
• Mode of operations
• AC & DC cut off
• Protection measurement
Test report consists of:
|• Details of the inverter
• Efficiency curve in different load and load percentage
• Working range of different parameters such as voltage, frequency, THD, MPPT DC voltage.
Outdoor PV Module characterization Facility
NISE has the outdoor photovoltaic module testing facility comprises of testing equipments and set ups for conducting the energy rating of crystalline silicon as well as Thin film PV modules as per International standards. I-V measurements on PV modules under outdoor conditions, close to standard test conditions, are performed by using a mounting structure which can track the sun. Using an I-V tracer measurements are performed continuously, at preset intervals. Long term performance and stability of different technologies arrays is also conducted under various weather conditions.
• Visual Inspection
• Maximum Power determination
• Low irradiance performance
• Long term module performance and stability
• Outdoor median performance
Any interested manufacturer may submit their modules. A report on outdoor performance of submitted modules under outdoor conditions comprising of Energy Yield, PR and instantaneous I-V curves will be issued.
Performance & Reliability of PV Modules
Goal of Photovoltaic (PV) Performance & Reliability, Research and Development (R&D) at NISE is to improve the Performance of SPV technologies. SPV Modules and systems are tested for long-term performance and stressed in the field, testing equipment, all to find R&D solutions to improve the Performance and Reliability of SPV Module and Systems.
PV Performance & Reliability R&D helps to reduce cost by providing companies with the information they need to improve PV product lifetime, availability, and performance and decrease operation and maintenance costs of PV systems. Publications are available, which summarize these efforts.
- Real Time Testing Long-term performance, reliability, and failures of PV components and systems are studied at NISE and through collaborations of other Lab. Analysis is performed to quantify long-term degradation, and results are shared with the community.
- Standard Development NISE actively supports efforts working toward the development of comprehensive standards for PV module and systems performance and reliability.
Performance & Reliability of Batteries
Batteries form an integral part of SPV applications. These are often characterized as ‘last line of defence’ for power applications. Being prone to damage and a costly component, batteries need to be properly examined so as to ensure optimum system performance. The battery test facility (BTL) at NISE is an internationally recognized laboratory in the field of energy storage research and testing. The Lab is committed towards serving the energy storage community and the national interest with cutting-edge research programs, the highest quality testing results, and leadership in battery safety and reliability. For more than 15 years, BTL has supported the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (India) by ensuring ‘quality backup’ in solar inclusion across the country.
- Capacity Tests : BIS/IEC Standards
- Ah Efficiency Tests : BIS/IEC Standards
- Wh Efficiency Tests : BIS/IEC Standards
- Self-discharge Tests : BIS/IEC Standards
- Type Tests : IEC Standards
- Life Cycle Tests : IEC Standards
- Battery Abuse Tests : IEC Standards
Research and development (R&D) at Battery Testing Lab focus on
- Analysing the mechanisms that lead to energy storage system safety and reliability
- Performance comparison of major secondary battery technologies
- Performing abuse testing
- Life Cycle testing techniques
- Feasibility analysis of different types of batteries in E-vehicles
- Performing detailed failure analyses, and developing strategies to mitigate energy storage cell and system failures